Monday, May 8, 2017

Check your Thruhulls

There have been two thruhull failures on Lord Nelsons in the past week.  The first occurred on John William 37VT68.  Here's what John Mackie had to say about it:

What Remains of John Williams' Failed Thruhull Handle
While trying to clear weeds from the forward air-conditioning strainer the handle for the seacock sheared off at the ball. It was very pink and corroded.  The thruhull was an original.  I open and close this one often to clean the air-conditioning strainer. I was having problems with floating sea grass and had no problem with the valve until the 3rd time. I believe it had a lot of grass in it which gave me some resistance.  I have replaced the main engine and genset seacocks and added one for new air-conditioning and water maker with Groco's flanged seacock and will replace the rest in the boat at next haul out. These are 30 yrs old so it's time."
Now Carl Miller, Sapphira 35LN23, reports:
The toilet discharge thruhull failed yesterday [7 May 2017] (in the mooring, no panic). The handle broke off with the ball valve in a partially open position (not a geyser fortunately) and I cannot do a thing with it other than drive in the obligatory wooden bung. The shaft is 3/8+" bronze, I guess de-zincified and all crystalline. The fitting leaks out the side where the shaft broke off, so I have to do something. I cannot get it apart, no big surprise after 30 years.

2 comments:

  1. John were any of your thru hulls bonded with green wire? If not that might explain the pink metal. Interested to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John told me he does not bond any of his thruhulls together prefering to keep each Electrically isolated.

    ReplyDelete