Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pet Tug #60 Gets a Major Rebuild (Tuggers Vol. 60)

In a July 2014 email Lou Steplock writes:


I know about prolonged haul outs. And when I wrote the check, I found out why they call it "hard". Very hard to sign that check. Pulled out 2 April and back in water 30 May. New paint on bottom, boot stripe, hull, stack trim, eyebrow. New gelcoated fridge. (Beautiful). And a totally rebuilt drive train from the flex (it didn't) plate all the way back to the prop. And a new oil pan. And a 15 gallon HWH. I think I sent a picture of that. Debbie's favorite part of the rebuild. I replaced all three engine mounts (the aft two for the second time). From the report of the transmission rebuild and the view inside the bell housing we were about to have a catastrophic failure. Probably in Deception Pass.  The heat exchanger on the transmission was 70% blocked. We replaced that too. I had rodded the main exchanger several years ago and it was still pretty good.

Lou is being modest about the number of jobs tackled. He didn't mention that the engine was stripped of all it's accessories (turbo charger, starter motor, alternator, fuel injection pump, heat exchanger and transmission), jacked up off its engine mounts, the engine pan was replaced, and then the engine was painted. Here are before and after pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment