Sunday, June 14, 2015

Update from Loretta May 37VT27 (Tuggers Vol. 64)

Larry Johnston, Loretta May 37VT27

We would truly like to attend [the NE Rendezvous in Maine - ed.] but we have family commitments that do not allow us to attend at this time of the year.  We really enjoy these "rendezvous" because of the excellent friends we have met and the new ones we meet every year.  We are going to miss getting all the hints on how to improve our own LNV Tug after seeing what the other owners have done.


Marilyn and Larry aboard their tug
















I replaced our old Raytheon chart plotter and depth sounder this spring.  I still have the Raytheon Radar (still operational I think).  I installed a Raymarine a98 as the upgrade.  By having an approved Raymarine installer doing it, I have an additional year of warranty.  By doing it myself, I would have 2 years on parts.  By using "Vessel Support Systems" I get 3 years on parts and labour.  When you buy the units, they send you three bar code stickum for the a98 and the transducer.  You need to save these to give them to the installer for him to send away to Raymarine.

I like the clear 9" screen and the charts are certainly detailed.  It is a touch screen so zooming in and out is simple.  The transducer was a PT120 (bronze with a faring block).  Canadian cost for a98 and transducer was $2249.  Gold navionics card for Canada was $203.99.  (All costs after tax).  Cost of removal of old transducer and installation was $600.  The old transducer had a 2" hole and this new one was slightly smaller (1/4" difference) but no leaks with plenty of caulking.

I retired after 40 years from Ontario Hydro in July of 2013.  Marilyn has reduced her work hours at Hotel Dieu Hospital as an Occupational Therapist working in the Augmentative Communication Department (working with handicapped kids giving them computers so they can thrive at school).  She is now working 2 days a week instead of 5.

Hopefully we will get Loretta May off the dock more this year.

So that's my news.

No comments:

Post a Comment