Tuesday, December 5, 2017

John William 37VT68: Teak Deck Removal, Part 2

Still plugging along or should I say unplugging.
Here are some of my favorite tools,

a Fein Multi tool, an 8 inch sander with 40 grit paper, and
a Milwaukee hammer drill with a spade bit.
I started out removing as many screws as possible and then saw cut across the teak with the Fein and started working the deck up in one foot pieces.
After getting the teak off I used the Fein with a medium scraper blade and removed as much of the bedding as possible. This was not a hard process and progressed rather quickly. Next I sanded the deck until it was just gelcoat left and proceeded to patch the screw holes with thickened epoxy; sanded that and then used a 1 in by 9 oz cloth over the screw holes to ensure they will not pop in the future.
At this time I am sanding and fairing the strips on the stbd side. 
I did find the decking was thinner on the stbd side and the bedding in worse condition.   I attribute this to that side being in the sun for 30 yrs. 
I will sand the port side next and fill all the holes to keep the core dry. 
I have found some of the wet areas have small blisters but not a problem after sanding them, seem to be in the gelcoat only. 
It appears the piece of teak at the cabin side is the cause of many of the leaks since they did not radius the teak to fit the cabin radius and almost all the screws were stripped and hardly any bedding under that piece. 
Will tackle the aft deck on Wed which should be easier as I can stand in the lazaret hatches. 
Will keep you posted on the progress. 
John Mackie

1 comment:

  1. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. Fence Removal Frisco TX

    ReplyDelete