Tuesday, December 12, 2017

John William 37VT68: Teak Deck Removal, Part 3

Sometimes I'm amazed at how Tommy's workers did things. I had some separation of the glass to the core if you want to call it that. The rectangular pieces are solid glass placed atop globs of thickened resin known as dum dum. This is found through out the boat as a filler since it has ground glass in it, not really a good adhesive. The rectangular pieces do not have a filler and appear to be just hardened resin and some were loose. I spread thickened epoxy on top with the first coat thin so it would fill in the cracks and gaps. I then used the same adhesive filler and used a thick layer to put the glass back in place.

Next project is remove the hatches and the teak under them.

The front deck has a core also and only found a couple of small spots that do not bother me.

I also found that several of the frames in the side deck are full of water have dried them out best I can with a vacuum cleaner.

If the weather holds I hope to have the decks and bulwarks primed and ready for final paint mid week.









The blocks [pictured above] are from my paver wall which I used as weights to hold down the glass I cut out when I epoxied it back in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment