Monday, April 15, 2013

Sewing Up a Storm (Tuggers Vol. 55)

By Lisa Taylor, Aramis #40 
I absolutely loved our first season with Aramis, but she just didn't quite seem like "ours".  The interior furnishings were all in nice shape but they were someone else’s furnishings....not mine. I had a few ideas but couldn't quite make up my mind until the East Coast Rendezvous (thanks to John and Jeanne Niccolls, Knock Off #66...remember, imitation is the best form of flattery). 
New signal pillows aboard Aramis

 I have heard many times from my husband, John, a shipwright by profession, the value of having the right tool for the job (usually while he's bidding on yet another plane, chisel or gouge from ebay) but it finally hit home for me when I was trying to sew 4 layers of sunbrella and 1 layer of Phifertex mesh with my trusty, 30 year old Singer sewing machine. 
New screen and curtains too

John quietly took note of my building frustration and surprised me with an early Christmas present, an Ultrafeed sewing machine, designed to handle multiple layers of canvas and even leather. My frustration was soon gone and I was on a roll. After completing new window coverings for the boat I went on to make pillows (note what they spell out) (, a screen door, dinghy, outboard & fender covers, and in keeping with my...

Whimsea Gets New Cushions (Tuggers Vol.55)

By Barb Robertson, Whimsea #64 
I decided Whimsea’s 1987 vintage blue velour; sun-bleached cushions didn’t fit her new name and whimsical image. I embarked on a winter reupholstering project with great enthusiasm but little experience or skill. Just in case any of you are contemplating such a project, I thought I would share a few tips and lessons learned. Initially, I intended to completely replace the foam inserts and fabric. As I deconstructed the cushions, with an industrial seam ripper to create the fabric templates, I was surprised to find the foam in great shape albeit quite smelly. Although I contacted several firms to buy replacement foam, none could provide the quality and exact fit of the foam I was replacing so I decided to keep the originals. The next quest was to remove 25 years of odors dominated by diesel.  After a gallon and 6 applications of Pureayre Marine Formula ( the old smells finally abated. 

New Cushions on Whimsea

Window Channel--Three Years Later (Tuggers Vol. 55)

By Dave Howell, NELLIE D. #63 
Tape holds corners securely while S-40 sets
I replaced NELLIE D.'s crumbling felt window channel with a modified Trim-Lok 1375B7X3/8 molding using the procedure explained in the Wiki's FAQs ( In three years of use some problems have cropped up: the molding sometimes sagged on top of the window; a sticky window could grab the molding and pull it along; and finally, over time the molding settled into its stainless U-channel and where once the Trim-Loks' bitter ends pressed together tightly, a gap appeared. The good news is that all these shortfalls can be addressed by 'gluing' the Trim-Lok into place.
Relax the corners for a better fit

First, I recommend that both the movable and fixed panes of glass, and their stainless retainers, be completely removed from the window. Next, put a bead of polyurethane caulk (like 5200 or Loctite S40) inside the stainless U-channel. Next, put the Trim-Lok into the stainless U-channel holding it tightly in place, especially in the corners, using masking tape. Finally, when the polyurethane has dried, reinstall the glass and its retainers.

 The windows are once again a joy to use and hopefully, in another three years, I'll be able to report they have been trouble free.